Sunday, October 18, 2015

Re-configurating a cabinet.

Dear Readers,

Today I worked on the next lesson, cross hatching but I don't have that project quite finished to photograph.

My other project this weekend was to change a cabinet in my kitchen around.  Even tho my kitchen is big, I had a big pantry in Columbus and I was missing that type of storage.  I wanted a place to store some of the things that didn't seem to have a good place in this kitchen. But at the same time, I would need a place for brooms and tall things like that.  So what I decided to do was to but shelves that were 9 inches deep in.  That would leave 2 inches that would accommodate the broom or mop handles.

So, thought the best way to do this would be to add adjustable shelving.  So I had been thinking about this and planning to put a level and measure to where each hole would be, and I had been worried that I would not be able to be consistent enough to make all the shelve sit level.  So today I had a breakthrough.  I decided to take a board and use my drill press to put the holes in that would act as guides to drill the holes in the cabinet.  It worked like a charm.  And boy did it make putting the supports in easy.  No marking on the walls or trying to measure and level all at the same time!

So I put the holes in and cut the shelves with my table saw.

So that looked great.  Added the shelves and now have a basket for nuts, and one for onions and one for potatoes.  And I still have room canned goods or cook books...I haven't decided which will be better to put where.  I can readjust the height if needed.
So feeling rather productive tonight!

Think this technique would work well if any of my quilty friends need to change up a closet for fabric!

Sew long,


No comments:

Post a Comment