Sunday, January 17, 2016

Antique quilt top


Dear Readers,

I have been working on lots of different things but don't seem to have much in a place to photograph.

I have been working on quilting a 25 x 25 inch quilt for a challenge that Julia Graber our incoming Mississippi Quilt President has issued.  But I am not done.

I also worked on another small quilt that I did to practice my straight line quilting techniques, but I have not finished the binding on that yet.

I did pick up an antique quilt top from Betty Lewis, a long-armer, in Louisville, MS.  She did a great job, and even appliquéd a piece in to fix a hole in one block!

If you look closely, you can see a pin marking a small hole.  


See how many of the fans are billowing?  

Trimming always makes me go WOW...it makes such a difference.  I have sewn the binding on with the machine, but have not sewn it down either.  But here is a picture of it without the binding.  This quilt top was given to my brother by one of our second cousins that said he was told our Great grandmother, Connie Frances Billingsley, made the top.  It may be made by her, as it has lots of her favorite colors in it.  I am not sure she did, as it does not seem to be the quality of some of the other tops she made.  It did not lay flat at all and Betty did a great job quilting it without getting any pleats!  She had me bring extra loft batting and said she would hit the popped up places with a steam arm and quickly quilt it up to avoid pleats!!!



I am naming this one "Summer Breeze"  as the colors look summery and there are dresden fans on it. I will try to have some things camera ready for next week.

Terry


No comments:

Post a Comment