Monday, November 30, 2020

Mask making

 Hey all,

I made a couple hundred masks when the pandemic was at its highest this summer and I have had a couple of people ask me recently how I did it.  So I decided to write a post about it.  

The basic pattern I use is the one developed by Orange Dot Quilts with a few modifications.  You can click here to read her instructions and download the template.  

I did make a few modification to her pattern.  I line the mask with a piece of light or medium weight sew- in interfacing rather than the batting that Dora Cary suggests using.  And I cut the interfacing to be 8.5 x 10 inches.  That way it lines the whole mask.  I think this gives you more stability and keeps the mask from collapsing into your mouth when breathing.  So after I make the tube I insert the interfacing and top stitch the top and bottom just as Dora suggests.It gets the interfacing locked in place right from the start.  

I then sew a piece of single or double folded bias tape, about 4.5 inches long to the center top.  This will hold a wire or piece of aluminum to form a nose clip to help keep the mask from fogging.  I used garden ties for my wires. 

Then I follow Dora's instruction on trimming and folding the masks. Here are photos of how I fold the mask.






 Once I get them folded right I stitch the folds in place. This is where we differ a bit.

 I measure how long the ends are and cut a piece of extra-wide double fold bias tape that is about an inch longer than the end of the mask.  I fold the ends over to give it some strength and stitch the ends down.  Then I sew this to each end of the mask.  

I did not like the feel of the elastic around my ears, maybe it is because I wear glasses, but it bugged me.  So I was watching a movie where a nurse was tying on her surgical mask, so I did a couple that you ran cording through and then tied it around your neck and on your head.  I like the feel but thought what a pain to try to tie those all the time.  So I figured out how to use a paracord and a cord lock so you could get them on and off easily.  I would measure the paracord to about 40 inches.  Then I would put tape at that point and cut the cord.  I would thread it through the bias end and put the cord lock on.  I made a big needle out of a pipe cleaner and painters tape so I could thread it fast.  


I would tie some knots to keep it from being accidentally pulled off and then sear the ends so it would not ravel.    You could easily follow her directions and put elastic in if you like the ear ones better.  

Convinced my brother to be my mask model.  





So a big thank you to Jeff!!  I also did a video of him putting one on so you could see how to wear them since several have asked me.

Here is a link to my you-tube video of him putting on his mask.


Sew on,

Terry

No comments:

Post a Comment