Sunday, October 14, 2018

Semper Fidelis

Hey readers,

I just have had a hard time, getting myself back to the blogging.  I was working on some quilts for a customer, and didn't want to post about them, then got behind, and could not motivate myself to get back to it.

My plan is to write about the last quilt I did and then add in some of the other projects and quilts as time allows.


 About a month ago, a dear friend, that I have known since about 1975, was diagnosed with Signet Ring Cancer.  Carlos Brown is my best friend's brother-in-law.  He served in the Marine Corp.  He got out after just a short tour and after he got his college degree he served in the Army.   So as a quilter I wanted to make him a quilt.  Will, my son was visiting shortly after we heard, I told him I wanted to use this jelly roll that I had, whose name escapes me at the moment, but when it comes to me I will put it in.  Will found the pattern "Standing Strong" by Shabby Fabrics.   Their pattern comes out to be 58x73.  I added one more row so this comes out to be 60 by 83.   Click here to check out the pattern. We downloaded it and it happened to be sew a jelly roll day and I had just bought a foam core board to use with the Henry the Blue Heron (another post for another day).  So I would use the foam core board to keep the rows in order so I would not have too many of the same fabrics next to each other.  I made the pattern one extra length as Carlos is a pretty tall guy.   I could have sworn I took a photo of that but I can't find it.

Anyway, after I got the top together, I needed to work on the back.   I had some Gamecock fabric left from another project so I put them on the back with a white border so that he would have places for his friends to write scripture on.  Carlos is a USC grad and a huge Gamecock fan.

I took it over to a friend of mines long arm so I could get it quilted quickly, I kind of wish I had done it on my domestic, but hind sight is 20 -20.  Anyway it was done and I sent it off to their home in Dalton, Georgia a little more than a week ago.  I go the sweetest call from Diane and Carlos when they got the box.



Please keep Carlos in your prayers as he fights this cancer.  You can follow his progress on caring bridge.  Here is the link to his page.
Here is a picture of Carlos with his wife Diane and two of his 4 grands, Jude and Olivia.  Please join me in praying for Carlos, Diane and all their family as they fight this disease.

Keep sewing.

Terry

No comments:

Post a Comment