Monday, September 7, 2015

Chloe's Quilt

Dear Readers,


This summer I got to go to SC to see my brother and his wife and my bestie, Sue Harmon and her sweetie Bill Harmon.

It was exciting to say the least.  I started out to buying a new, to me, car in Birmingham, AL as my car developed problems.  My brother said it would not make it back to Mississippi or to South Carolina.

After that was settled I headed to Tryon,  NC to see my brother and his wife and their farm.  Ed and Katrina have really worked hard to have a great farm.

He had a churn for making pickles and we used some of the cucumbers from his garden and put some pickles in.



My dogs were a little un-nerved by pigs, horses, goats, guineas and chickens but they looked happy enough.  We attempted to keep them locked on the porch but they did escape a few times.  Learned a lesson about electric fences and stayed a little closer to the house after that.


Ed is doing some chores here.  He really seems to enjoy it.  I guess it is a nice change from lawyering.



Sue and I had a plan to make a quilt for her granddaughter that would be born in September.  We only had a couple of days to get it done, but we were going to team sew this baby quilt up and get her done.  Sue and Jaclyn, her daughter (the expectant mom), had picked some fabric, in two color ways,  to use in the nursery, and they wanted that in the quilt.  So we looked at some of the Missouri star quilt videos and selected the floating squares as the one to use.  While Bill was cooking us dinner we made a quick run to the fabric store and picked some fabrics to coordinate with it and to use in the border.  There was no time to order fabric from Missouri Star.   We went and picked about 8 or 9 fat quarters and made our own precuts.  We picked the bright pink to make the blocks float.  Home we went to a wonderful dinner and to throw all the fabric in the washer so it would be ready to use in the morning.

I did most of the cutting and pressing while Sue was assembling blocks or sewing rows together.  We set her seam allowance to 1/4 inch and everything fit together nicely.  She did a great job.













Colby is inspecting.

Bogie is assisting with the inspection.

We finished it and found a long-arm quilter who could quilt it in ONE day.  So we dropped it off and Joyce did her magic.  Joyce even went a step farther and helped Sue put binding on her quilt as Sue had never done that and I had already left and gone back home.
 She has pictures of the finished quilt on her page here.  She did a great job and we were so lucky to meet her and have her quilt the top for Sue.  I would highly recommend her if you need the services of a long-armer.

We also whipped out a couple of sheets so it would match the quilt.


Sue sent me the last few photos.  So she gets credit for those.  Chloe is here now and wonderful.

Here is a picture Bill posted of her on her quilt with her big sister.

Sew fun!!

Terry


































No comments:

Post a Comment