Friday, September 6, 2024

The Carpenter's Apprentice

 Dear Readers,

I had another finish this week.  I had a vision to make three quilts for our pastors and have them ready by October for pastor appreciation month.  So I have finished the first one.  I had ideas for our youth minister and our music minister, but more about those when I finish them.  About that time, a class was offered by Jackson Quilters taught by Jonce' Smith on using a Studio 180 Design ruler, the Tucker Trimmer I, to create a carpenter wheel patterned quilt.  I decided that would be the pastor's quilt.  



The quilt went together like a dream.  All my points matched up and I had decided to only put one matching border to float the wheel and not put the points on the edge.  I also had this idea to quilt it with each corner having one of the pastor's favorite verses and each diamond color having the same quilting pattern.  I had decided to put a border about a 1/4 inch in from each seam and quilt a different pattern in each blade.  There were some large squares set on point and some small squares that were straight set.  I also decided each of the large squares would be quilted alike and each of the small squares would also get the their own design.  Each of the setting triangles on the edge would get a different design.  I also decided to try a bit a ruler work on this one as I wanted to build that skill.  That was a bit of a mistake as I really struggle with ruler work.  I have a hard time holding the machine against the ruler or letting the ruler slip a bit.  I was not liking the way some of the "diamond" patterns were coming out as they are not true diamonds.  I decided the center star would have a different pattern.  So once that was decided it went a bit better but still was a struggle.  





So here are a few close ups of the quilting. 

I must at admit the quilting on this was a challenge and it lived on the long arm machine for over a month.  I eventually finished it, and decided that the bobbles with the ruler did not hurt too bad.  I am going to have the church members sign this.  So I haven't written out the label yet.  

Sew on,


Terry


No comments:

Post a Comment