Friday, August 26, 2022

Tea and Cakes

 Dear Readers, 

Last year when I went to Quiltville Inn on a quilter's retreat with some of my favorite quilters, Patti and I took an afternoon and drove to a neighboring town and went fabric shopping.  Patti and I both bought Tula Pink bundles and a pattern called Lucky Stars by Atkinson.  I had wanted to use that pattern to make a quilt using her Curiouser and curiouser line of fabrics.  This line of fabrics is based on the story of Alice and Wonderland.  I decided to make the quilt in the Lap size which is 60 x 75.   Meanwhile sometime during the school year, Celeste was home and her dear friend came over and she picked some fabrics for a quilt.  I did not show her the curiouser and curiouser line as it was sitting on the washing machine as I am an avid pre washer.  Any way I realized a lot of the fabrics she picked were very similar colors to the line.  

So I made Lafadra's quilt using the curiouser fabric, taking out the queen of hearts fabric and the Alice fabric and subbing in some of the tiny beast line, that I also loved.  I used the fabrics Lafadra picked for the back and I think both came out cute.  Hope she loves it.  

I had a lot of fun practicing my freemotion on the long-arm.  It is certainly a different skill than on my sit down machine.  I was using books by Angela Walters and Leah Day for most of the inspiration but I used a few others too.  

I thought I would post close ups of the individual blocks, so you could see what I was doing.  On each block I did something different on each white section, a different pattern on the strips surrounding it and then something on the center block.





















I learned a lot, and definitely need more practice on several of the patterns but overall, I am so happy with how it came out.  

UPDATE:  



She seemed pleased!!  

Sew on,

Terry

No comments:

Post a Comment