Sunday, February 9, 2020

Convictions

Dear Readers,

Early in the fall I was on a trip to Colorado to visit Celeste.  Well my plane arrived and I took a bus to Boulder where she worked, we had lunch, then while she was finishing her day I took the car and ran out to Golden to the Rocky Mountain Quilt Museum.  These were in the main room.





Then in a smaller gallery, there were these amazing miniature quilts.






 This was also out in the main gallery.

I knew I was going to make a quilt for Olivia, a dear friend's Granddaughter, and after the quilt museum I bounced over to Golden Quilt Company and saw a bundle of fat quarters in Kaffe Fassett fabrics.  I picked them up, but had no plan on what to do with them.   If you want to read more about Kaffe click here.

At the Fall Gathering of Mississippi Quilt Association, Carol Punday made a presentation about some heart blocks that she had made.  There was another presentation by Diane Bohn on some paper pieced patterns. She has her own business called From Blank Pages, click here to visit her web page.  I was particularly drawn to her letters.   So I combined those ideas into this quilt.

First I made hearts and the letters....









So using the free pattern on the Cluck, Cluck Sew website, that Carol shared,  in the 9 inch size I pulled one of each Kaffe fabric and made a heart.  I will include a link to that pattern here.  I used the bonus triangles that I got from making the hearts to make the border.  I had to make a couple extra to have enough to go all the way around.  This is the first quilt that I tried to do a custom quilting job on it.  The first few I have done an edge to edge design.  I did some ruler work and some filling in free motion.  I had trouble with the ruler slipping and need to work on controlling the head better, but I had fun and it came out ok.  It is not perfect, by any means, but it was fun.

Sew on!

Terry

No comments:

Post a Comment