Sunday, September 30, 2012

Alzheimer's Art Quilt Initiative

Hey all,

Judy, suggested the other day that it would be good for us to make Alzheimer's Art Quilt Initiative quilts.
 Here I copied and pasted her message to MQA (Mississippi Quilt Association)  members:




President’s Message 
Let’s Continue Our Heritage…Pass It On! 
How many of you have taught someone to quilt, or a new technique so far this year? I enjoyed learning something new during the MQA Educational Seminar in July with Marilyn Doheny. I wasn’t sure what I was getting myself into but once there, I was truly glad I jumped in. She was a fun teacher and I think we all had a good time. Next year’s teacher will be Nancy Mahoney and the dates are July 15-20, 2013. Class information will be determined a little later on. 

Something that I’ve been wanting to participate in is the Alzheimer’s Art Quilt Initiative. If you haven’t been personally touched by Alzheimer’s (Mother, Father, Grandparents), I’m sure you know someone who has. The money received from the auctioning of these little quilts goes toward Alzheimer’s research which will benefit us in our future. I’d like to challenge you to make a donation quilt (maximum size is 9” x 12”) and bring it to show during the Fall Gathering in Cleveland. You can choose any theme but a “Delta” theme would fit right in with Cleveland’s programs for the weekend. Please check out www.alzquilts.org for the complete list of instructions and rules to follow. 

I’m looking forward to seeing you in Cleveland October 19 and 20. And, don’t forget the Pine Belt Quilt Show October 5-7. Also, the Spring Gathering will be in Meridian MS. February 8th and 9th, 2013. Mark your calendars. 

Happy Quilting! 

Judy Stokes, President 




 Judy's mother suffered from that horrible disease and so did my Uncle Arnold.

So I am trying to come up with an idea of a small 9 x 12 inch quilt to represent a wonderful man who always made me feel so welcome in his and Aunt Martha's home.  In the meantime, I am posting a link to their website for anyone else who would be interested in honoring those in their lives that have had their minds stolen by Alzheimer's.



So if you are interested here is a link to their site and the guidelines for producing a quilt for their fundraising.  AAQI.

The AAQI (Alzheimer's Art Quilt Initiative) gives a great method for preparing a small quilt for hanging.  I have posted a link to their site.  To see how to do it click here.

1 comment:

  1. And I second that notion and that emotion. Go for it! I love supporters of my own favorite cause! And do check out our quilts available for bidding in our October auction! I am blessed to have one of my own in the group..the one with Himalayan mts and the quote by Tagore...Song of the Hills. But there are so many. Place a $5 increment bid just to get us going and we'll love you for it ;) link to auction page: http://www.benefitbidding.com/listings/categories/index.cfm?category=965774286

    ReplyDelete